Wednesday, October 06, 2004


Badnarik for President ... of Mexico?


As a long-time libertarian activist and a supporter (at least in principle) of Michael Badnarik's campaign for President, it pleased me to see that he has signs up all over Austin. But, like what I would guess are many others, I'm quite bewildered by his choice of signage.

The color choice is good - white on a dark blue background is always a winner. His name is clear right there at the top, so that's good too. But after that the signs become rather mystifying. There's a tiny word you can't see below Badnarik and then the next word which really stands out is the Spanish word 'Campagna', which I always thought referred to a rural region or a field, but now in context I'm having to guess means something else like 'is running for President of Mexico'. Since it's the only word besides Badnarik which is large enough to read and it has the central position on the sign, it's got to be important, right?

On seeing this sign, and for the next few dozen times I saw it, I assumed that this was a sign made up to appeal to the hispanic population and that the message "Badnarik Campagna" would have some special meaning to them. I felt somewhat slighted, as I would have liked to see a sign in English, but then I went on and did some more research.

After going to badnarik.org I figured out that the signs aren't actually in Spanish. It turns out that Richard Campagna is Badnarik's pick to run with him for Vice President, so I don't have to head off to Mexico to vote Libertarian. What the sign actually says is:

Michael (too small to read)
Badnarik (nice and big)
Richard (too small to read)
Campagna (almost as big as Badnarik and in the middle of the sign)
Libertarian for President (also too small to read)
plus it has a toll free number and a web address to make it even more crowded

At least my linguistic issues were cleared up by this, but now it becomes a design issue. Why is Campagna just as big on the sign as Badnarik and in the more prominent central position? Why is everything else on the sign so small you can't read it from more than a few feet away? I guess it got me thinking about the sign, but it didn't exactly create a favorable impression. From a distance all you see is the two last names and no indication of what they're doing on the sign. From close up there's further confusion because there's no differentiation between the presidential and vice-presidential candidates. If there's so much information to put on the sign that the first names and the 'Libertarian for President' line have to be made too small to read, then there's too much information on the sign. I wouldn't want to be rude, but Campagna needs to be cut from the sign, and they need to drop Badnarik's first name and maybe go with a bolder, sans-serif typeface. A simple, clear 'Badnarik, Libertarian for President' would do the job - maybe throw the web address on large enough to read too. Sadly, a website is far more relevant than a VP candidate. Clear and simple is always better in these things.

Give me a day or two and I'll follow up with my own design for the sign. Who knows, maybe someone is paying attention.

1 comment:

katie nalle said...

What does it actually mean when correctly spelled? I think that the VP candidates name actually comes from Italian rather than Spanish, but the languages are related.

Dave